Thursday 28 August 2014

This week in my kitchen and garden

This week I experimented with boiling farm fresh eggs that actually peel - and was successful!  I made bread and chicken stock and picked my tomatoes, peas and green beans.  I've mentioned before, I was a little slow and hesitant with this garden and it shows in the output I'm receiving.  My tomatoes that always did so well in the city are not doing so great in my country garden.  We think it's the location and the soil.  We are going to move them to the large garden next year.  I'm happy that I at least have enough to make some freezer sauce.  I'm still eating my strawberries from July - they have such a nice taste compared to the mass produced grocery ones.  Please leave a link in the comments so I can see what's happening in your kitchen and garden.  
Another pic of my dill beans.  I can't wait to try them, Sept 11 is the taste test.  One liter jars were far too big for this project.  
Chocolate granola with protein and frozen berries.
Made with celery and onions from my garden (among other things)
Still warm from the bread maker
Banana smoothies have become a favorite in our house.  
I'm doing a big turkey dinner on Saturday - just because - and these beans will be part of the meal.  

2 comments:

  1. Nice homegrown goodies, my tomatoes were very sparse this year also, I think it may have something to do with the decline of bees and pollination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i find that if i leave the eggs to cool down in their boiling water (which means i let them hard boil for a much shorter time, a couple of minutes only), then they peel easily. what's your trick?

    ReplyDelete