Monday 28 July 2014

I found my cucumbers!

After my vacation my garden was FULL of weeds.  Discouragingly full.  You almost couldn't see the vegetables full.  My hubby ended up tilling out between the rows to help me out but what it really took was a lot of elbow grease and effort.  Did I mention that this was just my small garden?  The other one is still full of weeds - which is where my cucumbers are planted.  I do go down there occasionally and pull as much as I can but I honestly don't have a lot of time for weeding!  Next year I'm putting down landscaping cloth and straw between the rows to try to keep them at bay.  We have these large perennials surrounding the entire garden, they are very tall and green (I have no idea what they are called) and so when I planted my cucumbers it was between these perennials and then they grew in an surrounded them.  Yep, they are in there.
I'm sort of glad I made the larger garden the squash garden because they will grow in a bunch of weeds happily.  That is one gardening decision I wouldn't change.  I think about my gardens all the time, I really wish I had more time for them.

The one item that is thriving at my house, besides the weeds - are the flowers.  The lady that lived at this house before me did a wonderful job with the flower beds, I can't take any credit for those.  She very thoughtfully planned those out to bloom all season.
Someone got Pink hair on the weekend.
I really must get a book on wild flowers as well, we have so many varieties. 
We are enjoying this place to much, it being our first summer here.  Walks in the pasture, pig roasts with the neighbors and meeting so many great people.  Enjoy your week.

No comments:

Post a Comment