Friday 17 October 2014

Update

October has been a lovely month, especially this week when the temperatures soared to a very lovely 18-22 degrees during the day and above 10 overnight.  As usual we have been busy with visitors and cooking meals.  For thanksgiving I had 12 people over and it was a fun afternoon with family.  The turkey was gorgeous and ready on time and I managed to time it so the veggies were ready when the turkey was ready to carve.  Don't you just love when that happens?  We had roasted acorn squash with Parmesan, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, roasted carrots, gravy, cranberries and stuffing.  A very delicious meal that I didn't get one single picture of.  It was a gorgeous Saturday and we spent most of it outdoors.
This was Saturday.  
 A doe and her calf(?) in the fields behind our house.

I've had the absolute pleasure of working from home quite a bit the last couple of weeks.  More time at home is a blessing for me.  When I do have to be in the office it's a 12 hour day away from this wonderful place.  Not to mention that my husband and I get a lot more time to talk and I get more time with my girls.  We have lots to do and are getting ready and making our plans for the winter like the other farm blogs I read.  Fixing this fence, adjusting that gate, getting the hoses put away, servicing the vehicles, fixing holes in the barn, cleaning out the eaves and worming the horses.  This year we are putting up a snow fence next to the driveway so we don't get snow drifts from the fields like we did last year.  The barn is full of hay and straw.  In the next month we'll load up on cedar shavings, horse and chicken food, candles, gas for the generator and chainsaw and buy new winter boots for everyone.  Winter in Canada is no joke...and last winter was the worst in 20 years.  There were ice quakes that sounded like a car had run into the side of our house.  Ok no more talk about winter, it will be here soon enough.

Let's talk about food again!  Having the extra time at home for me means good meals and time for baked goods.  This week I made squash soup with sage, turkey soup with kale, spaghetti sauce, orange rolls, peanut butter cookies, pork roasts and an entire turkey dinner!  I only have some pics below...the orange rolls - YUM.  I got the recipe from Pinterest.

I realise this post is a bit all over the place.  I created it over a few days and I had so many pictures I wanted to share.  Have a lovely weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment